Saturday, July 7, 2012

Ecuador {Day 7}

Our last day of work.  Crazy how fast the week went, yet still felt like we had been there so much longer than we had. We started painting right when we got to the worksite.  Some rooms were 2 shades of blue and some 2 shades of green.  They were really bright colors which I think the kids will love! A group of us left about an hour before lunch so that we could go tour Nate Saint's house.  This is the actual house he lived in with his family before his death.  It has been turned into a Memorial/Museum that is full of information about his life. It was really interesting to hear about.

Afterwards we walked to Alexanders, it was a bit rainy which was actually kind of fun.  We walked by the place that the group stayed the year before and also walked on a really rickety bridge that was a bit nerve wracking! After a quick lunch we headed back to Casa de Fe.

During baby time, I got to hold sweet Yarena and I saw sweet Ana too which was wonderful.  I thought I was going to be a basket case the whole time but I really wasn't.  Until the end. As I was walking back to her room I felt the tears welling up (and yes they might be coming back as I'm writing this...)  I put her in her pack n play, and she just started wailing.  I don't think it was because I specifically put her down...she just wanted to be loved on and held and not put back in that crib. The teachers (known as tias) do a fabulous job, and the best that they can but for obvious reasons they cannot sit and hold babies all day.  After I set her down I had to just go.  I couldn't stay and try to clam her down because the only way she was going to stop was if I picked her back up. I got really frustrated about not being able to take her home with me at this point.  I could give her such a better life.  In America. When I walked out of the room Ana was there again, and it was time for me to say good bye to her.  I found myself asking God - what am I supposed to say?  This is just too much.  It's too overwhelming. Once again I felt that feeling of - why can't I bring her back with me? And all I knew to do was to hug her tight and pray over her. In that moment I felt peace come over me.  As I was holding her I realized - would it really be so much better for these sweet girls in America?  Where we are materialistic, have so many things to distract us from Jesus, and live complicated, stressful lives where we don't stop for a moment? Is that really what is best for her? It was like I felt God say, "Trust me - I've got this." And so I just prayed over her - prayed that she would know that she is loved by me, by the people at Casa de Fe and most of all by Christ.  I prayed that some way she would be able to make a life for herself, to go to college. I pulled back - I told her I would see her again soon. Because I couldn't say good-bye.

So after THAT all I really wanted to do was see my husband and baby and be home and in their arms again.  But there was still work to be done! I pulled myself together and started painting.  The group that was in the purple room was working hard and fast to get it done before quitting time! We barely made it.  Then we headed off to play a quick game of soccer with the maestros.  Somehow Ashley and Melissa convinced me that it would be a good idea for us to play as well... pretty sure I haven't played soccer since I was 10. But it was fun and made for good memories!

That night we headed to dinner at Tandy and Dwights.  It was so fun to see their (adorable!!!) home and get to hang out with their sweet little man Jonathan.  They are in the process of adopting Jonathan and hoping to bring him back to the states when they have finished their time at Casa de Fe.  If you are reading this - add them to your prayer list.  They are an incredible couple with great faith in the Lord.  They are so fun, and completely devoted to what God has for them. The food was delicious and the conversation was great. We recapped with each of us giving a little blurb about our experience.  I'm trying to remember all the questions...this was the best I could do! (I knew I should have written it down!!)

Favorite Food: The meal we had at Tandy's! Homeade empanadas, rice, delicious lemony aji and fresh pineapple.  Oh and Coca Cola in a glass bottle of course!!!
Least Favorite Food: Papaya (it seriously smelled like puke and everyone EXCEPT Santiago said so!)
Favorite Moment: The birthday party! Seeing those kids light up was priceless.
Least Favorite Moment: The first night- that dog at Abuelos! Or (and I don't think I've told this story) one morning at 5 am when the guys got up to run sprints right outside our window and it was causing all of the stray dogs to bark and our motion light right by our window to come on!!! Ashley sat up and she was just mad, and I sat up and just started crying because well - I'm dramatic and I was EXHAUSTED.
Spiritual High/Low : This was almost the same moment for me.  It was when I was saying good-bye to Ana and Yarena.  I was so frustrated with God about having to leave them behind, and their life situation, but he also used that moment to show me that they were just fine where they are - living a simple life that isn't filled with things and constant activity.  A life that I could learn something from.  Don't get me wrong I am SO grateful to live in America.  I felt relieved even stepping into the Atlanta airport on the way home.  But Ecuador, and I'm sure other countries alike just know how to live a simple life that isn't full of distraction that I think we could all learn from.  

{Low} Saying good-bye.  To Ana, Yarena , Saustine, Tandy, Dwight and Jonathan
{High} Dinner at Tandy and Dwight's.  It was such a sweet time!
































No comments:

Post a Comment