Friday, July 6, 2012

Ecuador {Day 5}

Today was the day we would get to fly into... THE JUNGLE! I was equal parts excited and nervous for this adventure.  We split up into 2 groups (all of us went except for 2 guys that had already been the previous year) and loaded up on prop planes to fly into the jungle.  I was so nervous about the flying but so excited to get to the jungle.   Our pilot didn't speak much English but was very friendly, and prayed over our flight before we took off which was calming.  On the way there I got the co-pilot seat! It was so cool to see the jungle from the front of the plane.

We landed and were immediately greeted by the Waodani tribe (also known as the Huaorani people).  I'm not sure if you have head the story of Nate Saint - but the short version is he was one in a group of missionaries who were speared to death by the Waodani tribe in the 50's. After his death, his family continued to seek the Waodani tribe and they were eventually converted to Christianity.  One of the men who speared Nate Saint is still alive today, and was among those who greeted us when we landed, and immediately started praying over our group.  Talk about the Power of the Lord! These people were amazing.  I was very surprised how civilized they were, with how little they had.  They were so grateful we were there.  They led us to their church where they were dressed in traditional Waodani clothing, and talked to us about their culture, faith and other things.  They ended by singing "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus" to us.  After their presentation, they led us to one of their huts where they were selling some things that they had made - bracelets, purses, bow and arrows, blowguns (none of us were very good at shooting them I might add) and many more things.  Once again I was amazed at their talent with how little it seemed they had! They started dancing and chanting in a circle and one by one we were all oped into it as well.  I think this literally went on for 30 minutes before one of the pilots finally brought it to a close for us... we were so exhausted in that jungle heat! We loaded back up on the planes (this time I was in the back - which did not make for to pleasant of a ride but I made it w out getting sick!!!) and headed back to Shell.  Visiting the jungle was a once in a lifetime experience.  I'm so glad I got the opportunity to meet the tribe and see their way of life.

After the jungle we headed to Alexanders for lunch... (Coca Cola in a glass bottle anyone?!?!} and then I headed to baby time where I snagged sweet Yarena again! That girl.  Could she be any more precious? After that I headed back up to the worksite where Ashley, Melissa and I took turns hammering and sweeping the floor to loosen up some concrete.

That night we ate at a hamburger joint called Johnnys.  I heard Johnnys and was looking forward to some shredded cheese on my burger and a big shake...okay it wasn't that Johnny's but it was still pretty good! After eating we headed  back to the hotel.  The boys watched the Thunder game with the Maestros.  I think they were sufficiently terrified by the amount of yelling that was going on at the tv.  The girls were in the kitchen baking away for the birthday party the next night.  Let me just tell you that baking in Ecuador is a little different than in America...the milk comes in a bag there and the cream cheese tasted...well...different to say the least! We stayed up late enough to see the Thunder beat the Spurs and then it was off to bed!

{Low} Tasting the cream cheese in our baking fiasco... ICK!
{High} The Jungle... Duh!



































No comments:

Post a Comment