Friday, July 6, 2012

Ecuador {Day 6}

On Thursday morning I woke up SO excited for the birthday party we were throwing for the kids that night...however - there was still lots to be done before then!

We started off the day by wiping down the walls so that they would be ready to paint. After that some of us girls got the job of painting the ceilings.  We tried to tell the boys that this wasn't a good idea...we weren't quite tall enough but we did it anyway.  And might have dripped paint on the already painted floor.  Dwight was very sweet and told us it wasn't a big deal but we still left feeling a bit guilty about it.  He pointed out that there were many places where paint had dripped onto the floor and not just our room - but still.  When you are trying to help someone the last thing you want is setbacks!

We headed to Alexanders for a quick lunch (we got to ride the truck - yay!) and then headed back.  I went to baby time where I hung out with Yarena and her twin brother Saustine who is equally as adorable as she is! After baby time we helped paint some rooms at the school and then Alissa and I headed back to the hotel a bit early so that we could start setting up for the birthday party!

We were each assigned a kiddo to celebrate with. These kids had NEVER had a birthday party before. How heartbreaking is that?! We did some planning before (let's be honest - mostly Alissa!) and did some crafting and decorating when we got there to get everything ready.  The theme was T-Rex and Tiaras and it was precious! The little girl I was paired with was named Ana (yay!) and she had quite the story.  She had 4 brothers and sisters, one of her brothers passed away due to neglect which is terrible.  But because of this it was figured out that their mother was not equipped to take care of them and they were sent too, Casa de Fe. I knew this story before I left, and was expecting a quiet, shy and closed off little girl... um NO. She was spunky, determined and knew exactly what she wanted.  She greeted me with a big hug, but was all over the place! The excitement she had was precious.  She was blown away by the cake, favors, gift with her name on it and of course the pinatas! She went from place to place without stopping and had my hand the whole time so I was going right along with her. She kept me on my toes and I just fell in love with her! The little girls each got a pair of ribbon flip flops, a barbie princess book, a hair bow, and a stuffed unicorn that they got to make themselves - like build a bear! We made a point to sing Happy Birthday (en espanol of course - so Feliz Cumpleanos if you will) to each child so that they felt special and honored. Her face lit up when we sang to her and she gobbled her cake right up.  Saying good-bye was really hard, but I promised her I would find her the next day to say good-bye before we left.

The party was a success. And after some cleaning up, we were all ready for bed before our last day of work!

{Low} Messing up that floor!
{High} The birthday party!

































No comments:

Post a Comment