I told my principal last week that I wasn't coming back next year. It wasn't a tough decision to make - I've known forever that I wanted to stay home when I had babies. And at the end of last year I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I was so ready to just be a mom. I didn't think I would miss it. And there are definitely aspects that I don't miss. I could list those out but I won't. Just visit a teachers lounge if you want to know ha! Instead I'll talk about the sweet hugs, the random "gifts" that kids bring you from the bus stop or playground, forming a relationship with that one kid that all the other teachers and kids can't stand, the stories that you come home with, being able to have a dance party to Justin Bieber (because the kids love it of course) dressing up like a crazy person just to see the looks on kids faces, the relationships that you have with your colleagues that no one else gets (whats the big deal about being a teacher you work 8-3 and get the summers off, right?) and as cheesy and cliche as it sounds knowing that you are making a difference in a childs life. Not because you taught them how to read or how to count money but because you tried to love them even when you didn't want to. Because when you teach in a school like I did for the last 4 years, with some of those kids you know you are the only safe person in their life. They trust you. And that is what teaching is about.
Teaching the last 5 years was what I was supposed to do. Someday I'll go back. But for now... SAHM it is. And I'll gladly accept that title!
{Interning} 2nd grade at Eisenhower
{1st Year} 2nd grade at Roosevelt
{2nd Year} 1st Grade at McAuliffe
{3rd Year}
{4th Year}
{5th Year}
My {Last} Day
My favorite {student}





Oh Anna I'm so happy for you! I love being at home with my children, they are my world. You're still a teacher, you just have a smaller class and your hours are longer ;).
ReplyDeleteAnna...friend of a friend. You are amazing. I love following your blog. I'm sure you were a fabulous teacher...and will be again someday, be it just to your own kiddos, or in a classroom! I have to say, after following your blog, and pinterest, I feel like I know you better, which is so funny! But I will say, from the moment I met you at our sweet Lindsey's wedding, I knew I would always love you. Just wanted to say, that your sweet spirit, love for all things, and adorable everything inspire me. So thanks for always making me smile. That little boy of yours is ridiculously cute. I feel like one of my girls may have to meet him in 23 years or so ;) ps. love the zebra curtains in the classroom ;) Have a fabulous night.
ReplyDelete