Saturday, June 30, 2012

Ecuador {Day 3}

After traveling a day and exploring a day - it was time to get to work! We walked to the worksite everyday - which involved going down a huge hill and up a huge hill - we were getting our cardio in for sure! Trey was leading us to the worksite that day and we might have gotten a little turned around...but we made it eventually!

Every day for an hour in the morning, and an hour in the afternoon one half of our group was scheduled for "baby time".  This is a time where we would go up to the orphanage and hold the babies and spend time with the special needs children (always my fave part of the day of course).  My time to go was in the afternoon - so I headed to the worksite 1st thing in the morning.

The first thing we did was too empaste the walls of the school building.  Now if you are like me you have no clue what that means...basically it is this white thick paste like stuff that you spread on the wall with a trowel.  That sounds pretty easy right? And the maestros made it look so easy...but let me just say this was not my forte.  I was getting really frustrated at myself because the poor maestros had to keep coming behind me and fixing up the spots I had done! I promise I was doing the best that I could! After empaste-ing for a bit we went to sanding down some walls and I felt a little more successful at that.  Construction-ish type things are obviously not my favorite but I was trying really hard to keep my attitude in check!

That afternoon we headed to Alexander's to eat lunch.  We ate at this restaurant every day for lunch.  They serve an authentic Ecuadorian meal - soup, followed by rice and a meat, then dessert.  Usually it was pretty good.  Most people LOVED it - I'm a super picky eater and was really nervous about the food but soup and rice are always pretty safe bets in my book! They have this sauce called aji (pronounced ah-he) that they put on everything! It's kind of like a creamy salsa.  Everyone has there own take on it.  Once again some people LOVED it some people hated it... I was kind of in the middle! It added a little kick and a lot of flavor to everything we were eating.  Also at lunch everyday we had coke in glass bottles.  I know it sounds so silly to get excited about - but after walking up and down that hill it tasted soooo good.  It's the little things people!

After lunch I got to head to baby time! I was so excited.  The first day I got Amanda.  A little girl who has Cerebral Palsy.  It took me a minute to get adjusted to holding her just right - but she was just precious.  At first I was just really sad for her, but then she would smile so big and  you could see the joy in her face even though she is physically suffering. Alissa and I took our babies on a walk that day - she had Thelmo a sweet 1 year old little boy. Amanda loved being on a walk and laughed and smiled the whole time.

After baby time we headed back up to the worksite.  Alissa and I sorted some logs, wood and trash into different piles for a couple hours, sanded down some more walls, painted a floor (that was interesting!!!) and then it was time to head back to the hotel.

After walking up the giant hill, making it back to take a quick shower we headed out for dinner at Abuelos. Not the chain of course, but an Ecuadorian favorite. I had chicken, beans and rice which was pretty good.  But unfortunately there was a dog (remember the random massive amounts of stray dogs I mentioned in day 2!?) that had his eye on me the whole time and would not go away! Now I am a dog lover but this dog was just starting at me with his beady rabies like eyes and I could not get over it (dramatic much?!) Anyway -you will see a pic of me below cowering away from this scary animal.  Of course that would happen to me! After dinner we walked across the street to get some yummy ice cream (might have been the 2nd time I'd had it that day after grabbing a delicious Snickers ice cream bar at a random stand on the way home for 64 cents?!?!) and then headed back to the hotel for some more birthday party planning and then much needed sleep!

Day 3 {High} Babytime of course! Getting to see the sweet babes and spending one on one time with Amanda was so sweet!

Day 3 {Low} A toss up between the empaste and the dog attack!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment